Friday 24 June 2016

Thoughts for the future

Sure, I'm not happy with the result, but this isn't the end. It is likely to take at least two years for any leave negotiations to be sorted out. That's two years to try and work for a better Britain and a better world, whether that future is in the EU or not.
I am surprised at the number of people who voted to leave when for me the facts pointed heavily towards remaining. But I also respect the democratic process and I can understand why people may well be unhappy with the current state of things. I think this is an opportunity not to throw our hands up in the air and simply say "We're fucked, so I don't care any more", but instead to engage with leave voters and understand their reasoning.
It feels like a lot of the anti-EU sentiment has come simply from people feeling like they aren't listened to and lack of engagement. So let's fix that, let's work towards an inclusive discussion of what works, what doesn't and what we want to work towards. We haven't left yet and now that the propaganda machines have slowed there may be an opportunity to be frank, honest and rhetoric-free. I for one would like to grab this opportunity with both hands and wring something positive about what has felt like a fairly poisonous episode in this country's history.
My heart goes out to everyone who's future has been thrown into uncertainty, especially EU nationals in this country and Brits abroad. I still love you guys.
Right. Happy music on. Depressing news articles closed. It's a new (and sunny!) day.

No comments:

Post a Comment